March 4, 2013

Creating Wood Grain

I've seen the results of other techniques. This was discovered quite by accident. The brush that was used, is a worn out brush that has been used to apply shimmer dust to cookies over the past several years. After washing it out, I was drying it by dragging it across a paper towel. I loved the pattern that it made. I diluted a bit of "Americolor" and found that it might possibly create a wonderful wood grain look. My opportunity came when I made these wonderful Harp cookies. I loved the results!





2 comments:

  1. Valerie, I'm an intermediate Celtic harper--who is in the process of having my kitchen remodeled...and ever since my ancient oven died a week before last Christmas, to my surprise, I've yearned to bake! (Not a baker! But thoughts of harp-shaped cookies and Scottish pastries (I'm also a professional, traditional Celtic storyteller specializing in Scottish and Welsh tales, lore and music) are dancing in my head. So, seeing the red C and blue F strings, I'm wondering--do you play? And what's the recipe? Would it be too hard for a newbie? Thanks for any suggestions you're kind enough to give me!--Barra the Bard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your interest. No, I don't play the harp. I make these for a woman who does play, as well as teach.

    The recipe is a basic shortbread recipe that is rolled to a 1/4 inch, then cut. The harp is quite a large cookie cutter, so I am able to add more detail. The decoration is done with a basic royal icing that is mixed both thin and thick for piping and flooding. If you have decorated cookies using those methods, I bet you would have fun creating them.

    ReplyDelete